i-relocationwithchildrenSupporting a Meaningful Relationship with Both Parents

It is the public policy of the state of Utah that each child have substantial, frequent, meaningful and continuing parenting time with both parents. This policy stresses the importance of having a strong relationship with both parents – even, and quite possibly, especially when the parents are no longer together or living under the same roof. This can become complicated and difficult when one parent moves out of state leaving the other parent and the child or children in Utah.

Matt Brimley is an experienced and knowledgeable child relocation attorney with over 22 years of experience practicing in this area. He and his friendly and compassionate staff at the Provo office who regularly assist clients who are contemplating or who are dealing with issues related to relocation. Contact the office to schedule a consultation today to discuss your options.

Movin’ On Up?  OK, But Don’t Take the Kids

When a parenting plan is drafted, it typically does not contemplate one parent residing out of the state of Utah. Rather, the parenting plan divides time between the parents so that the child or children can maximize their time with both parents, while minimizing the travel between households. If a parent seeks to relocate, it certainly places a strain on the ability to see the child or children and requires a modification of the parenting plan.

Sometimes, the parent moving out of state wishes to relocate with the child or children. It is not easy to move with a child out of state. The moving parent must prove that the move is in the best interest of the child and must obtain permission and an order from the court in order to move. There are several factors and standards that must be analyzed and met by the court during this analysis.

Conversely, as a parent opposing the relocation of a child out of state, the same factors apply in the reverse. The burden is on the parent seeking to relocate to prove the move is in the child’s best interest, but the parent who opposes the move must be prepared to provide the court with evidence as to why the child or children are currently thriving in their environment and why a move would not be in their best interest.

With over 22 years of experience in the area of family law, Mr. Brimley has had plenty of experience on both sides of the fence. He is experienced in advocating for his client’s position no matter whether his client is relocating out of Utah or staying put, and he is familiar with the ever changing and advancing law in this area.

If a client’s child does end up relocating, Mr. Brimley has significant experience with modifications of parenting plans so that the parent who remains in Utah is able to continue to maintain a continuing and meaningful relationship with the child to the greatest extent possible.

Contact the Provo office today to schedule a consultation to determine your rights regarding relocation.